The Westmead Prostate Cancer Support Group became the 5th such Group in the Sydney Metropolitan area when it was formed in October 1997. The Group initially catered for most of the Western Sydney region until the formation of other groups a few years later. The Westmead Group has been affiliated with the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia since the PCFA was formed in 1999.
The Westmead Group aims to provide support to men who are facing prostate cancer, and their families by assisting with:
- Initial phone contact and discussion with members who have had similar treatments and experiences
- Obtaining relevant information on the prostate disease
- Meeting others at Support Group Meetings, who have experienced the treatments they are considering or may have had
- Access to information on all aspects of prostate cancer treatments via specialist speakers who address monthly Support Group Meetings
Group Members may also support Prostate Cancer Awareness and other activities by the Prostate Cancer Foundation.
These are held on the 3rd Monday of every month from 6.30pm to 8.30pm at Westmead Hospital. Go to the Main Hospital Entrance and proceed past the Information Desk to the Education Block on the ground floor.
Meetings are normally held in Lecture Theatre 4, or nearby rooms. Signs on the doors indicate which meetings are in each room.
Support Group Meetings Aim to:
- Facilitate open discussions where men and their partners share experiences and assist each other in dealing with impact of prostate disease on their lives
- Provide the opportunity for individual discussion with others who have had similar problems or treatments
- Have local health professionals speak on all aspects of prostate cancer and treatments
- Provide relevant information from various sources such as booklets & DVDs / videos
- Encourage partners, family members and friends to also attend Support Group meetings.
Location of Meeting
Westmead Public Hospital
Educational Block, Theatre 4 Cnr Hawkesbury Rd & Darcy Rd
Westmead NSW 2145
Frank Coliero Convenor
(02) 8847 2041 or 0459 504 625